Friday, August 15, 2008

The Lord Is With You Mighty Warrior …

Right, that’s how I feel when I wake up in the morning … like a mighty warrior, ready for anything, with the strength to overcome … no, not really. Most days I wake up just feeling like me … and I know me … not a mighty warrior … more like a wimpy wiener. (can I say that?) But, regardless of how I feel, there’s more to me than me … there’s He … Him … the Lord who is with me. Let’s not forget the first part of that charge: “the Lord is with you.” The “mighty warrior” part only makes sense when combined with the “the Lord is with you” part.

So where does this fancy phrase come from? This was spoken to a young man named Gideon several thousand years ago. Gideon was an Israelite living in a time when his nation was under the oppression of another nation, the Midianites. The Midianites would come in to Israelite territory, ruin crops, steal camels, and ravage the land. And even though the Lord allowed this because the Israelites turned from Him, when they called out for deliverance, their God answered. He answered by calling a young man to wage war against the Midianites … enter Gideon. Now, you’re probably thinking, “wow, this Gideon must have been some B.A.” (and I’m not talking about his academic credentials) That’s not how we find him … the record of this encounter (found in the Old Testament of the Bible, Judges 6) tells us that Gideon was hiding out in a winepress trying to keep his wheat from being stolen by the enemy … doesn’t exactly sound brave. But it was in that context that the Lord himself came to Gideon and declared him to be a mighty warrior. I call it truth before proof. God tells Gideon what is true about him, before there is any proof that it is so. And Gideon responds in total faith, accepts his new identity and is ready to wage war … no, not really. Gideon says “but …” Why does it always seem easier to question God than believe Him? Then God throws in some more truth: “go in the strength you have.” “What strength?” says Gideon, “my family is weak and I’m weak.” Then God reemphasizes the very first thing He said to Gideon … “I will be with you.” And that makes all the difference.

Gideon spent too much time focusing on his puniness rather than on God’s presence. I spend too much time there as well. I have to understand that what God has declared to be true about me is true, regardless of how I feel. Gideon went on to lead an army of 300 against thousands and was victorious without losing a man. A mighty warrior … who was found hiding food from the enemy and was used by God to bring victory for His people. How ya feelin today? Doesn’t matter … go in the strength that you have, for the Lord is with you … Mighty Warrior.

Dedicated to my brother Matthew … a Mighty Warrior.





4 comments:

Joanna Christmas said...

Those Christmas boys sure are studs! I'm glad you realize that my crush on Matthew is never going to fade. At least your ok with that. Aren't you?
I really like how you told us where the passage was in the Bible and gave us some background information. Were you piercing the text though? Is that allowed? xo

kirbylee said...

thank you for this, robby. (i especially like "truth before proof") very encouraging. reminds me of this:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2Cor 12:9-10

Teecy said...

I don't know if it's because I have been working so hard non stop or what but this post and especially these pictures have me in tears. (i'm not sure about the grammar of that sentence but I don't care...I'm not an english teacher anymore...just 5th grade!)
I love my little mighty warrior brothers! I've always loved you all but after this summer I think I love you even more, if that is possible!
Thanks Robby!

Anonymous said...

Well said.