Sunday, February 22, 2009

Forgive Me, But ...

I don't think I care. Not that I don't care about Penelope Cruz, I do. She's a beautiful person made in God's image for His purpose. But I don't care much for a big deal headline about how she almost fainted for winning an Oscar. The caption: "Penelope Cruz says she almost fainted after winning the night's first Oscar." … Is "so what" an appropriate response? … I could tell you about many people around the globe tonight who didn’t “almost” faint … they did … from hunger, thirst, drunkenness, loss of a loved one … from real issues, in the real world, that’s really broken and in need of a real Savior. Not a functional Savior (thanks to Driscoll for the insight), someone or some experience to distract us from our emptiness and give us "heaven on earth." The more the news dishes out shallow trivial anecdotes about superhuman movie stars the more we are potentially lulled into thinking that we live in a shallow world that has no need for the depth of the Gospel. Am I overreacting? Comments welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I agree 110% often times our attention is so greatly fixed on the trivial matters at hand ie:Penelope almost fainting that we tend to forget about the real people that ARE fainting because of SERIOUS and MAJOR issues.
Its sad that we'll sit and watch in my opinion shallow and artifical people on tv but as soon as the commerical for "feed the hungry" or "save the homeless" comes on that we change the channel in an instant.
What kind of message is that sending? We all say "I'm not shallow I'm not like them I'm real" but in fact are we just as shallow?
We'd rather spend that $5.00 on a hamburger to put in our stomachs instead of sending it kids that need it most and ensuring a family has food for their children and clean drinking water to wash up with.
I dunno it seems so wrong and yet we've bought into this world...rather sad really...
Sorry I just thought I'd share my opinion, I hope you,Joanna & Trey are well!!
All my love,
Jessyca

Joanna Christmas said...

you should have seen her outfit! :)
ha.