Thursday, December 9, 2010

Punch Line: it's the Pagans (continued from last post)

Yea, so you've got the pseudo-king who just ends up showing the depth of his insecurity, becomes super jealous, and murders even more people - he doesn't show up to honor baby Jesus. To him this "king of the Jews" was a threat, a threat to his power and control. Sadly, Jesus is still seen that way by many. Then you have the posers (religious leaders). And why do I call them posers? Because they thought they had it all together; they thought they had the corner on the religious tidiness market. They thought they knew the Scriptures, but they failed to see that what they thought they knew, really pointed to Jesus (John 5:39). They missed it. And even though they knew the Messiah was to be born in Bethlehem, and even though they heard that he had possibly been born, and even though others were going to check it out... they did not go.

But the magi did; they went. In fact it says they were overjoyed to go. They found the child, and worshipped Him. These pagans, these star-gazers, these ... gentiles, they worshipped Jesus, the Savior of the world. But, wait, these guys didn't deserve to be there; they didn't have the credentials, the Bible knowledge, the right background! And yet they are welcomed, more than that - drawn, to this place, to worship this King. Reminds me of a verse from Isaiah - "I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth" (49:6). The light of the world began shining on gentiles early in His life. And I'm so thankful He did, because I realize that I am one.

Ya know, I'm glad the magi are in most Nativity scenes. I know, I realize it's not historically accurate, but I like seeing them there ... reminds me that I am also welcomed into the presence of Jesus, even though I don't deserve it.

1 comment:

Teecy said...

it really is amazing that the posers missed it. sad, really.
love how you describe them
"corner of the religious tidiness market"
nice.