Thursday, January 26, 2012

Things Dads Do

I have a three year old son. The past three years of my life has been challenging, and has brought many good memories to my mind and heart, memories about the things dads do, about the things my Dad did. Most people begin to realize sometime around their late teens that there are things they want to emulate from their father, and things they don’t. I have been realizing the past three years just how much of the things my Dad did that I want to make sure I do. It’s a lot. So, here we go … here are things Dads do … things I want to do … and mainly, for today, on his birthday, in honor of “Bobby” (as Trey calls him) … things my Dad did …

Play with us – whether it was in the yard, on our gravel basketball court, making forts, or watching me do some ridiculous stunt that really wasn’t as cool as I thought it was … Dad played with us. And it was great. At the time I probably thought, “of course he plays with us, look how cool and fun we are” … only now do I realize that it takes more energy than I thought, but it’s so worth it. Thanks for playing with us Dad.

Put us first – I don’t think I ever really noticed it, but he was always making sure we had what we needed. One piece of chicken left, one of the kids is still hungry, not even a question – “you take it.” That may sound simple, but it was consistent. In so many different ways, he was always looking out for us, putting us first, providing for us. Thanks for the chicken Dad.

Discipline us – sometimes this one hurt, but man was it necessary. How else was I going to learn how life works – right behavior brings good consequences; wrong behavior brings pain. This is a general rule in life… one that I got to start learning at a very young age, ouch … uh, thanks Dad? I’m learning consistency is the key on this one, and that requires a lot of energy, and commitment. Yes. Thanks Dad.

Take us on vacation
– I can’t imagine having any greater memories than I have of the vacations Dad would take us on. He’d drive through the night as we sprawled out in the back of the van and slept. He'd play with us on the beach, teach us to swim, take us to water parks. Unforgettable stuff. Thanks Dad.

Read to us – oh the memories … I can still hear his voice. I remember the big blue book of Bible stories. I remember Maxy and Mini (whoa! Where did that come from?!). I remember Dr. Seuss. Kids still need this, it wasn’t just a fad. Got a good book? Go ask your Dad. You had to be tired at the end of a long day, but thanks for reading to us Dad.

Teach us to work – yes I am thankful for this. It’s part of life. From the time I was strong enough to carry a piece of firewood I carried firewood into our basement to help keep the family warm. This wasn’t an option. Sometimes I didn’t want to; sometimes it was crazy cold outside. Didn’t matter. Hm, that sounds mean. No, it sounds like a dad who was teaching his son some realities about life at very young age. Thanks for teaching me to work Dad, even when I didn’t want to learn.

Make us pancakes – and other fun stuff. My Dad knows how to whip up some good stuff in the kitchen, but man do I remember those pancakes. And we’re not just talking special occasion on a Saturday … this was in the morning before school, from scratch. What?! Oh yea. Thanks Dad.

Verbally affirm us – those of you who know me know how crucial this one is. Dad was always loving and affectionate and consistently told us he loved us. One of the things a son longs to hear from his dad is “I’m proud of you son.” And I had the privilege of hearing that on a regular basis. Thanks Dad. I'm proud of you too.

Pray for us – there’s something big about this one. It communicates dependency on God. He could have done all these other things right, but the real influence on our lives was not just the way our Dad loved us, but the way that He prayed to his Father to lead, guide, and protect us. I am very convicted of my need to pray for my kids, and I am so very glad my Dad prayed for us. Thank you Father. Thanks Dad.

Lay down in my bed with me before I go to sleep – it’s the end of the day, we’ve played, made forts, read books, done baths, brushed teeth … I’m tired. Trey’s tired but doesn’t know it yet. What does he want? “Daddy, can you lay down with me one minute?” Sure son. That’s exactly what I would ask my Dad. And that’s exactly what he would say. So comforting. What a way to fall asleep. Thanks Dad.

Dad - you have set a great example to me of things Dads do - I am doing my best to follow it. I always hoped I would be a great dad. I never knew how much it would require of me. I always thought my dad was a great dad … I never knew how much it required from him. Thank you Dad. Happy Birthday.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Thanks for the years of friendship. I consider you a great mentor and friend. I have learned many things from you over the years both about life and football. Thanks for taking time to invest in others. The time that you have spent recently during my time of issues is appreciated. FYI pg 70 of the book.

Thanks Again. Dave Bishop

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Thanks for your friendship to me and my family. I want to thank you for helping me to try instill in my son the things I want him to learn about being a man and a great father one day.
Hope you have a great day to day.

Randy Smith

Zack Mellette said...

Bob Christmas may have six legitimate children of his own but he has truly fathered thousands more through coaching and teaching. I could write an equally long list of ways he has impacted me and helped me grow and develop as a man.

His leadership, guidance, and support has outlived the three years that I played football for him, and I will count him a mentor and friend for the rest of my life. Thank you Bob for passing on a legacy to not just your own family but also to so many more young people over the years. I too have learned much from your teaching and example that I can apply now and one day as a father. Happy birthday old timer.

Zack Mellette

Sola Scriptura said...

Bob,

God bless you on this special day. May your children rise up an call you blessed!

You are a missionary, an ambassador to Hall County. Make His name great and keep living for eternity!

Steve Wright

Anonymous said...

I connect with every single thing on that list. I could not have said it better.
I'll add this: get up with you when you're sick in the middle of the night.
I had some "sickly" years as a child with asthma and dad was always up with me. (mom slept right through...it's okay, i love her for other reasons!) I always knew I would be okay because he would protect me and care for me. In recent years he also was a great care giver when I had jaw surgery.
Thanks Dad! I love you a lot!

Miguel said...

Well just when I thought Robby´s days of effective communication were a thing of the past he goes and pulls a stunt like this...... and yes, so they say, totally redeems himself. Dad I love you a whole lot. I can also and truly affirm every word from this post. I also can affirm what Teecy said regarding childhood late nights with sickness. Dad would throw me in the shower during asthma attacks, force benadryl down my throat, and wait till I fell back asleep, and all to the sound of mom´s humble snores. I love you dad. Ya´ll call me on that number tonight so I can keep making fun of mom in honor of your birthday.

p.s. I am coming home for the Gainesville screening on the 17th. I want to see if if the team wants to just sleep over at our place after so we can have one of those legendary breafasts the following morning????(Happy birthday Dad, now how about some pancakes).

Steve Murray said...

I hope you have a great birthday! You have been a blessing to North Hall High School and our community. I appreciate you as a role model, coach, teacher, and a friend.

Steve Murray

hellodarla@aol.com said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Christmas! I whole heartedly agree with this post. Your dad always treated me like one of his own and I always felt like another Christmas kid when I was on vacation or at the house. And I agree about the pancakes! That was def a highlight in spending the night with Teecy. I loved Bobby's pancake breakfast. Great post and well written Robby!

Scott Smith said...

Through the years I've learned our children need to hear from us, "I love you, I'm proud of you, you are good." From what I just read, it seems you scored on that account!

Happy Birthday, Bob.

Scott

Sally Smith said...

Happy Birthday Coach!! I hope you have an amazing day!! Thank you for being a man of God in the life of my son, Andrew. It is a blessing to me to have someone in his life that expects greatness from him while being a living example of just that. Thank you for the sacrifices you've made over the last 10 years creating a sense of pride in our community that we all enjoy. Thank you for your "neighborly" friendship and love for my family. Again, have an awesome day!!!

Love,
Sally Smith

Maryanna said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Christmas! You truly are an amazing Dad! Many blessings to you this year.

Peggy said...

Well, now that we have celebrated as a family this afternoon- better late than never!- I am here to comment on Robby's wonderful blog. Thank you Robby, for such wonderful thoughts on your Dad's birthday. I was there, and yes, so much of it did come at the end of a long day. He has always given beyond what I thought possible. You all were God's amazing gift to us, and he was not going to withhold what he knew you guys needed. He also loved every minute of being with you! Thank you, Bob, for loving me and loving our children. I hope this is the beginning of a rewarding year in your life.
P.S. Miguel- did I really SNORE through Dad taking care of you at night?!