Friday, September 18, 2009

I Don't Go As Often As I Should ...

"... ya ever heard that before," he said with a snicker. I have, plenty. And I always wonder what sort of things are going on in peoples' hearts to cause this pseudo conviction. There are people who say they belong to a church, don't really attend, and yet, feel as though they probably should. Now, before you roll your eyes thinking this is a blog about church attendance, let me assure you, it's not. The issues in the church today go much deeper than people not showing up on Sundays. In fact I would encourage the church to attend functions where people are, instead of just expecting them to come to us.

So, anyway, where was I ... oh yea ... why the pseudo conviction? Not sure. I guess like most people in the world they feel like they should be doing something to appease the gods. I wonder if they realize that the one true God has been appeased, His wrath has been satisfied, by His Son dying a criminal's death ... and so we go to church not to appease, but to celebrate. Not to earn anything, but to express our gratitude for what has been earned. We don't go to church to appease God.

So, what's with the title? ... I was walking down the street today and started talking to a man in his yard. The comment came after I shared what I am doing here in Richmond and asked him if he goes to church anywhere. I smiled, we kept talking, and then I explained our vision for community and relational depth. He seemed intrigued. I then gave him a card, asked him to say a prayer for me and went to walk off. He responded by asking me to say a prayer for him, with an added, "I just might go to church this Sunday." So, I went ahead and offered to pray for him right then. He seemed touched, and held his hand out for me to hold. Not what I expected. I grabbed his hand and talked to God, simply and sincerely , thanking Him for listening to us, and loving us, and dying for us. I finished and looked up to see a moist-eyed older man who had been touched by a simple prayer to an awesome God.

I walked away feeling like a missionary, and affirming to myself that this is all I ever want to do ... bring God to people. So where does this leave us with the church conversation? There are people outside the church walls, with some sense of religious convictions ... they just need to encounter Jesus ... will they encounter Him in you?

3 comments:

~ Dawn ~ said...

Robby,
How amazing that God touched that man through you and your willingness to walk in His will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! The Spirit inside us just sighs with a sigh of contentment when it connects with another part of himself, the Holy Spirit, in another... or even gets close to the hole present by the absence of His presence!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing that with us. I admit my prayers for you and your precious wife and your new church have fallen by the wayside lately. I promise to pray for you all and that God will work mightily through you... as I know He has marvelous plans to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Much love... Dawn

Tim said...

Robby,
That's the stuff, bro. That's it, right there. A ray of the Kingdom just shone for a moment in Richmond.
Tim

Joanna Christmas said...

I love seeing your sensitivity through this interaction you had. I admire how you actually look for ways to talk to people, when most of the time I am looking for ways to avoid talking to them. What a sweet reminder of how a simple conversation can still be used by the Lord. And, how sweet that he trusted you enough and felt loved enough by you to reach out his hand for you to hold. I love your heart.